Somatic Experiencing (SE)
Somatic Experiencing (SE) is a process that allows the body to re-regulate its nervous system following a shocking event that disrupts the nervous system. The SE facilitator gently guides the recipient in processing sensations experienced in the body (i.e. a somatic experience) to completely resolve the trauma that has been stuck in the nervous system.
SE is highly effective for recovery from stressful symptoms experienced as the result of a traumatic event - even if years have passed since the event.
It is effective for treating and resolving the symptoms of various types of trauma, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Receiving a diagnosis or life-altering news
- Physical and sexual abuse
- Assaults and inescapable attacks
- Witnessing a disturbing or horrific event
- Natural and man-made disasters
- Physical injuries
- Suffocation, choking, drowning
- Birth trauma
Symptoms of post-traumatic stress may include:
- Chronic pain, inability to sleep or relax, easily startled, increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, cold sweats, tingling, muscular tension, flashbacks, nightmares, intrusive memories
- Tendency toward anxiety or panic attacks, mania, rageful outbursts, hyper-vigilance, racing thoughts, worry, being over-reactive
- Low energy, exhaustion, numbness, low muscle tone, poor digestion, low heart rate or blood pressure, poor immune system function
- Depression, dissociation, apathy, disconnection in relationship, being under-responsive, avoidance of specific situations
Click here to read more about Somatic Experiencing.